Storybook Favorites

 The first storybook that caught my eye and was instantly categorized as one of my favorites is Avatar Aang's Lost Tales

    My gravitation towards this storybook was of course due to the nostalgia that I felt upon reading it, as it made me think of my time watching Avatar the Last Airbender as a kid. The title immediately let me know what I was in for. The introduction was pretty straightforward in its approach, yet it intrigued me with its simplicity. I've watched all of Avatar (as well as Legend of Korra, the sequel show) and am no stranger to the Avatar cycle, yet I found myself wanting to know more about the spirits Aang encounters, even learning something new, that the stories were based on East Asian Mythology and not entirely fictional as I assumed as a child. This storybook not only brings me joy due to the nostalgic aspects I associate with it, but it is also well done and makes me wish to continue reading. 


The second storybook that intrigued me, earning a spot on my favorites list is Chronicles of Hades.


    Due to my love for the novel series Percy Jackson and the Olympians, developed in my adolescence, I am familiar with Greek mythology. Not to mention my fondness for all of the Hercules movie adaptions. Thus, my knowledge and familiarity with Hades, God of The Underworld, is limited, but not nonexistent. The title is revealing and direct. The introduction is interesting, being told from the point of view of Hades himself, who lets the reader know that his stories will be interactive. After diving into some of the stories, the option not to only choose your own narrator but also the contents you will be reading about adds a facet of complexity and intrigue that really makes this storybook. Not to mention the stunning design, which acts as the cherry on top.

The final storybook on my favorites list is The Magic of Reading.

    This storybook took a creative approach in its introduction, writing from the perspective of Clarissa, the ghost of Cinderella's mother. I'm of course familiar with the stories of "Cinderella" and "Little Red Riding Hood," however, "Sleeping Beauty in the Wood" is new to me. The title was a bit vague, but the introduction's creative style succeeded in capturing my attention. The reader was being directly spoken to by Clarissa, leading me to have a direct perspective of these stories, which is interesting and unique. Cinderella is even discussed as a celebrity whose movie just came out, which instantly makes me compare her to the movie stars of today. This approach is very fun and freshens up these old stories in a way that entirely revamps them and makes the reader enjoy them as if they were brand new!

Comments

Popular Posts